Saturday, May 7, 2011

How to Ditch Your Fairy by Justine Larbalestier REVIEW

SOURCE: LIBRARY

How to Ditch Your Fairy

First off, I'm giving mad props to Justine because of all the creative fairies she's created just to accompany the books-- and the characters. Who would've ever heard of a parking fairy (finding the perfect parking spot), or a clothes-finding fairy (speaks for itself)? Also, it must've took her a lot of time to not only create these creative fairies, but also creating a whole new world!

Characters wise-- It's very rare for me to dislike a main character, but I really didn't like Charlie. She was a snob and had a bad attitude. All Charlie ever did was complain and complain some more. Even though she had a reason to hate her parking fairy, she shouldn't hate on Fiorenze when she barely knew her! She made Fiorenze really sound like a snob, saying how because she was mega-rich, she didn't give boys the time of day. But every time I read about how Fiorenze was in school, she didn't sound like a snob at all! More like super shy... or super annoyed with boys. It must've been extra surprising for Charlie when she found out how nice Fiorenze was, and how much she hated HER fairy. I liked Rochelle on the other hand though, if she wasn't so nice, I'd envy her with her clothes-shopping fairy. Poor Fiorenze, because she had the every-boy-will-like-you fairy, every girl in school hated her. But she was trying so desperately to find friends, and Charlie, didn't even bother to give her a chance!

The story was great! I liked the idea, and the plot. But I just couldn't help myself from being annoyed by Charlie.... UGH! Honestly, as much as I hate to say it, this story doesn't leave an impact for me, because it was one of those light, fun reads. But I enjoyed it while I was reading it, and would recommend anyone looking for a light, fun and humorous read.

RATING: 3/5
COVER: 5/10
CHARACTER(S) I LIKED: Rochelle, Fiorenze
CHARACTER(S) I DISLIKED: Heather, the "Heatherettes", Charlie
FIRST LINE: My spoffs looked funny in the top, which is odd because my spoffs are tiny - page 1
SUMMARY: from Goodreads
Everyone in New Avalon has a fairy. Though invisible, a personal fairy is vital to success. It might determine whether you pass a math class or find the perfect outfit. But all fourteen-year-old Charlie can do is find parking spaces—and she doesn’t even drive. At first, teaming up with Fiorenza (who has an all-the-boys-like-you fairy) seems like a great idea. But when Charlie unexpectedly gets her heart’s desire, she’ll have to resort to extraordinary measures to ditch her fairy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What good is a comment box if it's not used?