Friday, July 1, 2011

Paranormalcy by Kiersten White Review

Paranormalcy by Kiersten White
First book in the Paranormalcy trilogy
Release Date: August 31st, 2010
Published by Harper Teen
Format: 335 pages, hardcover
Source: Library
Summary:

Weird as it is working for the International Paranormal Containment Agency, Evie's always thought of herself as normal. Sure, her best friend is a mermaid, her ex-boyfriend is a faerie, she's falling for a shape-shifter, and she's the only person who can see through paranormals' glamours, but still. Normal.
Only now paranormals are dying, and Evie's dreams are filled with haunting voices and mysterious prophecies. She soon realizes that there may be a link between her abilities and the sudden rash of deaths. Not only that, but she may very well be at the center of a dark faerie prophecy promising destruction to all paranormal creatures.

So much for normal.


Review:
This was such a fun book to read! I loved reading this book since it was FILLED with all things paranormal! It made me love the genre of paranormal and mythical even more.
I wanted to trade lives with Evie... provided that I don't die of course. Evie was always thrilled by the idea of living a normal life. The ones we have. When Lend showed her around his school, she was so jealous.... from lockers. I have to admit, I laughed at how Evie was so excited for school. I felt apologetic, because everywhere Evie looked, everyone had a family, and she was the only one that was alone. I couldn't possibly imagine a life without love and a family. It was actually pretty interesting, to read about how someone thinks our normal regular lives is like paradise. It was really sad throughout the middle to end, where all the paranormals died, since many of them lost their lives even though they didn't do anything to deserve it.
Evie was a spunky, badass girl who was fearless with her years of tagging paranormals. Oh, and her best friend is a mermaid.... How cool is that?! Lend was the perfect supporting character. He was sweet.... and delicious. I loved the connection and romance between Lend and Evie, it was like they were meant for each other.
Although this book was captivating and humorous, it did leave me asking quite a bit of questions. I was really confused a lot of times near the end. I felt like I missed a whole chunk and I kept flipping back to the last page to see if I missed anything.
Overall, this was an interesting read, and I'm curious to see what happens next in the second book. I'm crossing my fingers that it'll answer my questions from the first book.
Rating: 3.5/5
Cover: 9/10
First sentence: "Wait- did you, you just yawned!" The vampires arms, raised over his head in the classic Dracula pose, dropped to his sides.
What the Author's Up To: Blog//Twitter//Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment

What good is a comment box if it's not used?